Monday, July 27, 2009

Life Is A Stageset

A really tacky, faded stage set
Taken from Simon Doonan's Beautiful People

Today has sort of been, "one of those days". Not in some like "UGH, life sucks" way, just sort of "meh...", not much to mention.
Woke up at 4 in the morning after about 3 hours of sleep, though I fortunately fell asleep again at 9 ish and then woke up around 1.


Yesterday I finished the book Beautiful People by Simon Doonan.
This book is the basis for the show I talked about a few posts back (Beautiful People post here). This book has very easily become one of my favorites. For the most part, it is pretty light, and its eccentricities make it hilarious. I strongly recommend this book to just about anyone.


image from http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/images/episode/b00dv58c_512_288.jpg


Also a couple days ago I watched the indie flick, Wristcutters: A Love Story.
I netflixed it after my sister had said it was a good movie. It was a good movie, though a little grim to say the least.
I mean it is a movie about a alternate universe populated by people who killed themselves, and a quest to find a "more desirable afterlife", so you should probably expect it to be dark. I really liked the ending though. I would also recommend this movie to anyone up for a tad dar, quirky indie movie.

image from http://ronniedigital.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/wristcutters_a_love_story_ver2.jpg


Summer Sonic Music Festival.

image from http://www.mosaicodiffusion.com/picts/tours/summer_sonic_09.jpg


ANOTHER festival I would really want to go to. Although this one is in Japan :3. Basically, consider it the super-epic Coachella of Tokyo/Osaka.
Anyone want to lend me a ticket to Tokyo?


Today's post was going to be another music one. I easily have a dozen or so topics I could just rapid fire blog... Although, then that would be a bit monotonous, wouldn't it? So I decided I would post more of a regular blog.

But I have decided to start a infrequent addition to the music posts it is called.

REMIX OF THE DAY
*confetti flies*

Which is what it sounds like, I will feature a remix, and give a short description of the artist(s) and the song.

So I will start the festivities with....2 remixes!!

La Roux Bulletproof (Tepr Remix)
I have posted about La Roux, easily one of my new favorite bands. (I am DYING for the album but I have to wait until 9/29 to get it here :/ )( La Roux post here). Combined with Tepr who is an artist in his own respect, though he also makes music with French musician, Yelle. Tepr, to me, is one of the "trinity of djs" that I have. Which consists of Tepr, Life Like, and Crookers (I know Crookers is technically 2 people, still I am seeing them as one). I think that nearly everything these djs remix is gold.

This is a pretty quiet remix, though in that regard it is quietly epic. I really like this one. It isn't as Tecktonik as several of Tepr's other remixes, but it is still quite enjoyable.


La Roux In For The Kill ( Life Like remix)
I know, another La Roux remix. Though Life Like (being part of my trinity, haha) really deserves some attention on this one. Life Like tends to make semi-monotonous remixes. I say that, meaning he likes to have repetitive intros. Which at first I thought was REALLY annoying, although I have grown to really like Life Like's remixes.

This remix is different the Tepr's remix, aesthetic-wise and well generally. His remix is a little more.... something. Just listen, and you'll understand.


Also I would like to make a comment regarding Elly Jackson from La Roux. Now she was scheduled to perform on Jimmy Kimmel on the 24th which, I wanted to see, but missed. I look up the performance on youtube and some of the comments, are just a bit out of line. People with comments like " she needs a nose job, new hair stylist, a proper makeup artist, and new clothes. Oh and her music sucks".

Well... what is your opinion is your opinion. But think about this.

Just because an artist doesnt bend to the super-sexed up American society doesn't make them less talented. Just because Elly Jackson doesn't happen wear little, or skin-tight clothing, doesn't take away from how talented or attractive she is. I applaud people who have their own style (whether I agree with it or not) and aren't afraid to show it. I am not just saying this in defense of Elly Jackson, I am saying to defend those who don't apply to this Americanized standard which so many find to be "the norm".

rant over.

I think that is all I have to say for today.

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or something.