Monday, July 6, 2009

Music to discover: 3 And other things.

Van She
Photobucket
image from photobucket

An Australian electropop, shoegaze, psychedelic band. Sound overwhelming? Maybe a little.

Van She began in 2005 when band members Nick Routledge, Matt Van Schie, Michael Di Francesco, and Tomek Archer all responded to an advertisement in Sydney’s Drum Media Magazine and arrived at an audition for a rock band with influences including Sepultura, Entombed, Black Skull, and Phil Collins. This was a spontaneous and unexpected way in which the band could be formed.

Van She was first introduced by their label as a,
"New band from Sydney fresh on ideas, fresher than Flavor Flav, fresh like coriander, fresher than the Fresh Prince."

2005 was the year Van She released their debut ep and in 2008 they released their debut album V.

(information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_She)

Van she are well known, not only for their original content but for their remixes. They consistently title their remixes under "Van She Tech remix".
They have remixed the likes of:
-The Presets
-Feist
-Ladyhawke
-The Bravery
-New Young Pony Club
-Klaxons
-Daft Punk

Van She is a very interesting band in that they incorporate a few little known, or older genres. For example, Shoegaze and the Psychedelic genre. To a degree it is far easier to notice the Shoegaze inspiration as the actual music is just as interesting to listen to as the lyrics. It is a shame that most of their music, at this point, is unavailable in the States. (Aside from their ep, and remix album, and a few remixes available on itunes.)

If you like
-The Presets
-Cut Copy
-New Young Pony Club
-Muscles
You will probably like Van She.

I highly recommend you check out their songs.
-Strangers
-Strangers (Van She Tech Remix)
-Kelly
-Klaxons- Gravity's Rainbow (Van She Tech Remix)
Van She


Strangers (Van She Tech remix)

Moving onto a few other things.

I have several books I need to read, here comes a list.
  • Kafka on the Shore- Haruki Murakami
  • Witches Abroad- Terry Pratchett
  • Kitchen- Banana Yoshimoto
  • Jan Eyre- Charlotte Bronte
  • Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman- Haruki Murakami
  • And several others which I cannot come up with off the top of my head.
Lastly, I am FINALLY getting my hair cut tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well. It is funny though, I always get really self conscious when I get my hair cut. Is that normal? Just I usually don't like my hair by the time I get it cut, so I figure everyone doesn't like it. The whole thing just makes for a kind of esoteric, embarrassing situation.

Will post pictures of it tomorrow.

Auf Wiedersehen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or something.