Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Music to discover: 11 and other things


I've got a lot to cover.

I'll start with the music.
Patrick Wolf

image from http://onlyangels.free.fr/interviews/w/patrickwolf2.jpg


The so called "male Lady Gaga" brings the drama.


Born Patrick Dennis Apps, (stage name, Patrick wolf) is a singer song-writer from South London.Patrick is known, musically, for including a variety of instruments in his music, most commonly, the ukulele, piano, and viola. He often juxtaposes these classical instruments with electronic samples, and his musical genre ranges from romantic folk to techno-pop. He has been exposed to music for nearly his whole life, and began recording his own songs on tapes with instruments he found at a very young age. He left home at sixteen and began busking in a string quartet, and later was found by Kristian Robinson (Capitol K) in France. Kristian then went on to release Patrick's debut album, Lycanthropy. Since then he has had 5 albums released, (including Lycanthropy).

information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Wolf

I first heard Patrick Wolf in a movie. When I first heard the song, Magic Position, in this movie, I didn't think much of it. I thought it was alright, though I found that Mika's "Relax" was far catchier.

I then sort of, re-discovered Patrick after a friend told me about his music. I was struck, because I had just found the song from the movie. Which I found funny, how things seem to circle around sometimes.

And then I became addicted to that song. The Magic Position is a wonderful patchwork of toy piano melodies, viola, and love struck lyrics and vocals. I really like this song, in other words. It is just so inherently happy, I mean, much like Mika, it just seems you can't NOT be happy after hearing this song.


image from http://totallytwitterpated.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/pw.jpg


I then came across some of his other work, most notably his song, Hard Times. (The title of this post is lyrics from the song.) It was from this song that I realized that Patrick is very dramatic. In the depth of his voice, and use of viola and multiple other instruments. His voice, only slightly reminds me of Sam Sparro. Though his voice not nearly as deep as Sparro's it just to have a similarity. Hell maybe it is the accent, hard to say. This song is pretty much what it sounds like, Hard Times. It is also at this point where I start picking up very David Bowie vibes. I had read before, online, where people were saying he was this generations David Bowie, I don't know so much about music-wise, though stylistically, yes. I say style wise, because of the video for Hard Times, full of Bowie-esque hair style and color, and accentuated androgyny.

All in all, Patrick Wolf is drama. Not in a bad way, he just has a kind of dramatic style. Something which seems to be hard to find in most music. So if you want some uplifting, dramatic, electro-folk-baroque-pop give Patrick Wolf a listen.


If you like.
-Sam Sparro
-Final Fantasy
-The Dresden Dolls
-Mika
-Amanda Palmer
Then give Patrick Wolf a listen.


Check out his songs.
-Hard Times
-Magic Position
-Accident And Emergency
-Get Lost


Hard Times

Patrick Wolf



Okay, moving on to America's Best Dance Crew.


image from http://www.mtv.com/onair/dance_crew/season_4/images/casting_call/580x250.jpg

I am gonna be honest about this one, I am not thrilled for this season. You could fairly say I am jaded from disappointment in the winners from previous seasons. Don't get me wrong I definitely have my favorites for the season.
Vogue Evolution
Rhythm City
and We Are Heroes.
And I would really really like if any of those could win, though there is one obstacle to that...

Massive Monkeys.

Don't laugh, that is the name of a crew. Okay, go ahead and laugh. Massive Monkeys is another breaking crew. Now, do not get me wrong, I really enjoy and respect break dancing. It was my, for lack of a better word, gateway into dancing for the most part. I know how hard it is, and I know that it takes a lot of hard work to be good at it. I am just tired of b-boying being the only thing the U.S/the crowd gives a care about. I would like the show to have a crew with intricate choreography to win. Once again, I am not putting breakdance down as a genre of dance, nor am I saying it is not "real dancing". I just want a little more originality, and creativity in the dancing instead of seeing a dozen flares melt into a head spin, over and over again.

I will stop there. I haven't invested much in any of the crews yet, i'm trying not to count my chickens before they hatch, if you will.


I also watched the Teen Choice Awards.


image from http://www.mileycyrus.org.uk/wp-content/gallery/2008-teen-choice-awards/2008-Teen-Choice-Awards.jpg

Why? I don't know..

Though, also, not really thrilled. I was only watching for one reason, *cough*,and the rest to me was basically filler.

I was kind of shocked at that fact that the show supplied stripper poles for the performance though. I mean this is the TEEN choice awards, I dont think that Miley Cyrus and Sean Kingston really need stripper poles to perform.
Whatever, I guess...

I think the whole show should have been obvious. Pretty much all the awards go to Robert Pattinson, Twilight, the Jonas Brothers, and Miley Cyrus. I mean, for the most part I think you can easily guess that if Twilight is nominated for an award, it will win. Same for the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus.
I suppose that is what happens when you let teenagers vote for the winners of awards, and leave it entirely in their hands.


The last thing I would like to address is Lady Gaga.



image from http://www.shoppingblog.com/pics/lady_gaga_pop_star.jpg


Not negatively, I like her music, despite it being painfully catchy, and I like her style. I think she is a little crazy yeah, but whatever.
I want to quickly mention of the dumbest web rumors I have heard in a while.
" Lady Gaga is a hermaphrodite."
Wow.... okay.
NO.
I am pretty much gonna say no on that. I am 99.9999% sure that if Lady Gaga was in fact a hermaphrodite, she would
have:
1) Mentioned it.
2) Made a song about it.
I mean I just think if it WAS true, she would have mentioned it at some point. I digress.
Just don't believe everything the internet tells you.

This post is too long as it is, so I will stop here. Sorry, but no remix of the day, today.

Tschuss!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or something.