Sunday, July 4, 2010

Music To Discover: 49


Ida Maria

(image from http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/Ida%20Maria.jpg)

Ida Maria Borli Sivertson (known by her stage name as Ida Maria) was born in the small town of Nesna, Norway. (Also where she currently lives). In 2007 Ida Maria began to gain all kinds of national success in Norway after winning two Norwegian contests for unsigned musicians for her fresh new take on punk-alterna-rock. Ida Maria has performed throughout Norway. She grew her international popularity (mostly in the U.K.) after appearing on Later... With Jools Holland and performing at Glastonbury. Ida Maria has been nominated for the Best Rock/Indie Artist award at the BT Digital Awards and has toured Australia, Scandinavia, The U.K. and The U.S. Her debut album, Fortress Round My Heart was released in July 2008 (March 2009 in the U.S.)
(information from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ida_Maria)

Truthfully, Ida Maria is no new discovery for me.
I remember first hearing about her somewhere on the internet around New Years of 2008 I believe.
Since then, I've deeply loved her music and I have been amazed at the lack of popularity of her music in the U.S.

(image from http://www.mtv.com/shared/promoimages/bands/m/maria_ida/photos/cr_greg_delman/02.jpg)

The first song of Ida Maria's I ever heard was her song, Oh My God. I instantly fell in love.
So full of angst, so definitively emotional, so esoterically problematic, twas perfect. Ida Maria's vocals are very strong, yes, and considering the relative repetition and simplicity of the lyrics, her voice sounds marvelous. Perhaps the true coup de grace is the emotional outpour of "of my god" accented by sharp drum and snare hits. Creating a relatable emotional experience.

On a completely different note, Ida Maria also has the ability to write ridiculous, fun punk-rock songs as well. Case and point? I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked. The song has a much lighter tone than Oh My God but nonetheless it maintains some kind of seriousness. Regardless of the seriousness/lightness of the song, I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked clearly highlights the fact that Ida Maria can write catchy, fun, pop-y-er music.

(image from http://www.allmybands.de/img/band/ida%20maria_xxl.png)

Lastly, Ida Maria once again displays a precise understanding of human disappointment/emotion in general in songs like Forgive Me. Forgive Me is, to me, simply described by heavy drums coated in shaky yet purposeful vocals. One of my favorites by Ida Maria.

Ida Maria's captivating cocktail of emotional tones, catchy riffs, and simple yet profound lyrics all clearly define her as a musical powerhouse capable of taking countries by storm. Hell, I mean, Ida Maria has already won over much of Europe with her musings, why not the U.S?
Who knows, but I can still hope.

If you like...
-Laura Marling
-The Yeah Yeah Yeahs
-St. Vincent
-Glasvegas


Check out her songs...
-Oh My God
-I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked
-Forgive Me
-Stella

I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked



Remix Of the Day
It's another 2 for 1 day!

Bloc Party- Signs (Armand Van Helden Remix)
Bloc Party's third album, Intimacy, was really quite the take off from their earlier work: tantalizingly dancey and unlike anything the band had done before. I am quite confident that this different approach to Bloc Party's typical style set the basis for Kele Okereke's solo career. ANYWAY. I love this album and I haven't heard the entire remix album. This song though. This song is quite something, I must say. Armand Van Helden is kind of legendary and took one of the more emotional tracks on Intimacy and turned it into a bass-heavy, throbbing, catchy dance track. 10000% worth listening to at least once.

Two Door Cinema Club- Come Back Home (Myd Remix)
Two Door Cinema Club's debut album has easily been one of my 2010 favorites. Come Back Home was one of the more delicate tracks on the album and somehow, Myd turned it into a distorted, drum oriented, dancey romp. I'm surprised that this song could be turned into a dancey track. A total pleasant surprise, mind you.


I'm honestly kind of burned out on things to say at this point.
If I come up with anything I'll be sure to post it.

Much love!
And happy Fourth Of July to everyone in the U.S.!
-Chromatist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or something.