Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy February!

Am I the only one who, whenever I type "February" I sound it out in my head like "Fe-brew-air-y"?
Yes?
No?

ANYWAY.
I stayed home today, sometimes I just get so overwhelmed and stress from school that I need to take a mental health day. Today was one of those days.
Probably to the dismay and disapproval of my teachers, whom, I hope don't, for whatever reason, read my blog, I spent most of my day on the internet and not doing homework/studying. I'M A GREAT STUDENT, I PROMISE YOU GUYS.
It was nice though, it's been a while since I've just lurked around online for fun/to find some new music. I found a few artists that might be featured on future Music To Discover Posts, but I also found some really killer remixes. I'll jump right into them.

Lykke Li- I Follow Rivers (Dave Sitek Remix)


Lykke Li's sophomore album is easily, already one of the most anticipated album releases in 2011. And, as I've mentioned before, she's changed her style a little bit. She's not the same shy, demure, quiet girl who sits in the corner of your english class wearing a mismatched jean jacket and patterned skirt. She's a bit more brash, more confident, more in your face and although this may seem strange in comparison to her first album, it's really quite fitting and, more so, invigorating. This mix first carries a familiar indie feel that one would attribute to Lykke Li. But soon after that, heavy percolated beats rise up to the foreground, slightly veiling Lykke Li's slightly faded voice. It's surprisingly dancey and persuasive, the inclusion of brass instruments add to Lykke Li's voice, making her vocals like an encroaching, encapsulating chant.

Clare Maguire- The Last Dance (Chase & Status Remix)



I don't know how this song is supposed to make me feel. On one hand I can see how it is a somewhat happy, uplifting song, but on the other hand, I can't help but feel like its about lost and failed love.
Well.
Whatever.
Clare Maguire is earning herself all kinds of attention and has been dubbed one of THE artists to be on the lookout for in 2011. It's easy to see why. Maguire has a kind of voice that is only easily described by calling it a bit of a huskier version of Annie Lennox's voice 20-30 years ago. She has this kind of rawness to her voice some kind of power that can't easily be described. This mix I'd say falls under the genre of "minimal dance" as it's simply composed and allows Clare Maguire's most powerful instrument, her voice, to take most of the spotlight. It's a very relaxed remix and provides a museum-like setting to observe Clare Maguires artistic voice.

Beardyman- Where Does Your Mind Go (U-Phonix Vocal Mix)


Lately, I find myself liking dubstep more and more. I've never had a dislike for it, but, lately it's been more accessible to me for some reason.
Whatever the reason, I have no complaints. This one margins a bit more, just a little bit, on the ambient pop-y side. Why? I can't really explain why I make such a statement, it just seems accurate.
This mix kind of goes hard, like, amazing-ness.
Pay it a listen.

This week's musical tragedy.
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs', one of my favorite bands EVER, song, Heads Will Roll is being covered on Glee.
asdfghjkl;
I don't even care about Glee, I have no feelings towards it either way, really. Except for the fact that people only know of/learn of songs that are amazing originally, because they're covered and become top 40 hits. Heads Will Roll shouldn't be sung like it is on Glee. Heads Will Roll should be sung brooding and dark and Karen-O style. The fact that it's combined with Thriller really doesn't help either.
Ugh. I won't even provide a link to this monstrosity. You can find it yourself, if you really must hear it...

Skins season 5.
(image from http://s4.daemonstv.com/tv/up/2011/01/skins-series-season-5-cast-09.jpg)

So. I may come across as a typical teenager obsessed with Skins. But I don't care.
Season 5, was, to me, actually really well begun. Although several people panned the season debut, I quite liked it.
And I'm kind of obsessed with Franky. Mainly because she's about 23515670 kinds of androgynous awesome, Franky's character and style is so captivating/awesome. So that's my two cents on that.

-The White Stripes have broken up
-La Roux will be releasing La Roux The Gold Edition, a re-release of their hit debut, La Roux, which will include remixes, live tracks, and b-sides.

I've got another interview coming up soon.
This time with The Good Natured.
Get excited.

Talk to you all later!
-Farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or something.