Sunday, February 20, 2011

Let me take a moment...

And point out what a fabulous, ferocious, inspiring diva Beth Ditto is.
I've always loved her, loved her work with The Gossip, her solo work, her work as a featured artist, her contributions towards feminism and her inspiring work in the LGBTQ community.
I also appreciate the fact that she called out Katy Perry for "I Kissed A Girl", but that is a whole different story for another day.

(image from http://www.taaora.fr/blog/images/marques/evans/1004261_beth_ditto_evans_automne_hiver_2010_2011_1.jpg)

Well. On the 18th, this fabulous woman came out with the video for her new song I Wrote The Book. Produced by Simian Mobile Disco, it's inherent that the beat will be sleek and stylish. BUT DAMN.
I mean, the simplicity of the beat is some kind of rapture that I don't even know how to explain. I Wrote The Book, on it's own sounds delectably chic and, if you ask me, has easily placed the track on the best of 2011 lists already. Not to mention the fact that, if this is any indication of what Beth Ditto's solo album is to sound like, it will be nebulously amazing.
The video itself is an obvious tribute to Madonna, and is very honest and sophisticated. Referencing Vogue (dancing, sharpness, musicality) and Justify My Love (hotel, black and white, blurry focus). Ditto references these two videos and songs spectacularly and she herself looks gorgeous, fabulous, and just generally spectacularly. The dancing is basically 1325 kinds of fierce and has driven me up the wall about a dozen times today.

FLAWLESS music video, peerless song.
Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or something.