Monday, December 31, 2012

40 Greatest Songs of 2K12

These are the 40 songs I loved the most in 2012. I was planning on placing the tracks themselves into the post a bit more gracefully but youtube has some ridiculous hang ups on just about everything, so, this is what we have. Remember order doesn't matter here. I also included a brief sentence every third video, beginning with the first (meaning the first, the fourth, the seventh, etc...).

Click to see what songs made it on to my year end list!




Alex Anwandter- Tatuaje

Oh my, easily one of the most beautiful songs of the year. This one got me through some sad times (too much information). Gorgeous song. Just. Augh.

Phèdre- APHRODITE


Miss A- Lips


Ga-In- Bloom

The video, though banned in South Korea for being too sexual, is quite beautiful. The song really grew on me, one of my k-pop favorites from this year.

Rustie- After Light (feat. AlunaGeorge)


Disclosure- Latch feat. Sam Smith


CHVRCHES- The Mother We Share

I made a quick little post in the summer about CHVRCHES' first song "Lies" and "Lies" is still brilliant. But "The Mother We Share" is pure electropop bliss. Watch out for them in 2013.

Jessie Ware- Sweet Talk


Frank Ocean- Thinking About You


Emeli Sandé- My Kind of Love

 Gosh, this song is just too beautiful. Sandé's voice is just so amazingly powerful. Can't get over this track. Sandé is so genuine in the song's emotion.

Grimes- Genesis


Chromatics- Back From The Grave


Little Boots- Every Night I Say A Prayer

I mean damn. Little Boots (Victoria Hesketh) came back with a different style this year and let me say this is my current favorite song by her. The video, an homage to the film Paris Is Burning is chic and simple. Fabulous.

2NE1- I Love You


Foe- Dance And Weep


Twigs- Ache

Super huge act to look out for in 2013. With only 4 songs, to my knowledge, to her name, Twigs has already shown herself to be incredibly memorable with her unique sound

Charli XCX- You're The One


Icona Pop- I Love It


AlunaGeorge- Just A Touch

Every song AlunaGeorge released this year was absolutely killer. You have to listen to this one closely and preferably with headphones just to hear every perfect aspect of this duo's talent.

Lianne La Havas- Forget


Purity Ring- Saltkin


Lana Del Rey- Summertime Sadness

Though a bit overwrought, this song is altogether amazing. A perfect pop blend of emotion, hysterics, and catchy lyrics. Lana's best, in my opinion.

Santigold- Disparate Youth


Neon Bunny- Plastic Heart


The XX- Chained

This was the song that guaranteed to me that Coexist would be an amazing album. Too good for words.

Niki & The Dove- Tomorrow


Wonder Girls- Like This


M.I.A.- Bad Girls

Do I really need to explain why...?

Rye Rye- Boom Boom




Marina & The Diamonds- Lies




Van She- Idea of Happiness

Van She's return is one of their best. This song is just so pleasant, so catchy. "Idea of Happiness" is irresistible.

The Presets- Fall


Twin Shadow- Golden Light


Le1f- Wut

Not only is this one of the best hip-hop songs of the year but it is also an extremely clever commentary on race and sexuality. Just. YES. Also, favorite video of the year I think.


Haim- Forever


Crystal Castles- Affection


BoA- The Shadow

My favorite k-pop video of the year, for sure. Catchy as hell, this  Janet Jackson-esque song and video will have you wishing you were BoA.

Woodkid- Run Boy Run


Fiona Apple- Every Single Night 


Azealia Banks- 1991

Azealia quickly became one of the biggest rising stars of 2012. "1991" is perfect evidence as to why. With a striking video, slick dance, danceable 90s-esque beat and Banks' rapid-fire lyrics, "1991" was one of the hottest tracks of the year.

Thus ends the best songs of 2012 list. I will try to get the best remixes up before the end of the year, but you know how it goes. Everyone have a safe and lovely new year, much love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or something.