Sunday, June 2, 2013

Charli XCX- Take My Hand

I feel like a complete dumbass for not posting about Charli XCX's debut album True Romance. I've been a fan for a long time and let me just say that True Romance is definitely a favorite of 2013. The debut is a fabulous collection of Charli's past mixtape hits and singles from here and there. Altogether, the album is remarkably personal and yet so ingested by 90s pop aesthetics and new-wave styles. You could not ask for a more characteristic debut album from Charli XCX and it is just so. damn. perfect. True Romance is strange enough to please the musically picnic and haughty and pop enough to please easy-listeners, all the while filling your mind with amazingly careful, thoughtful, and sharp lyrics from end to end.



One of my favorite (new, meaning not remastered from old singles or mixtapes) tracks is "Take My Hand". "Take My Hand" is as youtube comments put it "not 90s, so 2013". Which is more or less a good definition. With the pop lyrics of a potential 90s hit, the track is grimey, fuzzed out, overwhelming, and cosmically futuristic.

"Don't go to sleep, don't go to sleep, let's go out"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment or something.